The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended an in-depth investigation into the hypothesis that COVID-19 originated in a laboratory accident, a year after it was considered “highly unlikely”.
This position is in line with the UN Convention on the Origin of the Epidemic. Indicates a possible revision of the agency’s initial assessment and follows criticism from critics that the WHO too quickly rejected or underestimated the theory that the virus may have appeared in Wuhan’s Institute of Virology. In late 2019, the city in central China where the first cases of Govt-19 were discovered.
The WHO decided last year that the hypothesis was “not very feasible”.
Many scientists have argued that the new corona virus could have been transmitted from humans to bats and may have been mediated by another animal.
However, in a statement released on Thursday, a panel of WHO experts said the “key data” was still missing. Govt-19 Infection It started.
The scientists said it would be “open to any and all scientific evidence available in the future to allow a detailed examination of all reasonable hypotheses.”
They noted that the most politicized laboratory theory could not be ruled out because laboratory accidents in the past had caused some outbreaks.It could take many years to find the source of a disease.
It took more than a decade for scientists to identify bat species that acted as a natural reservoir for another acute coronavirus (SARS) virus, which was discovered in southern China in late 2002.
A virologist who is part of the WHO team investigating the origin of Kovit-19 agreed that some scientists may “hate” the idea of exploring laboratory theory, but “need to keep it open”. The mind to explore this hypothesis “.
The report may revisit allegations that the WHO initially accepted the Chinese government’s interpretation of the outbreak in Wuhan.
Some top WHO members were frustrated with China during the initial explosion, even after the UN praised Chinese President Xi Jinping.
They were frustrated with the way China tried to curtail research on the origin of the epidemic.
Former US President Donald Trump has repeatedly speculated that Kovit-19 originated in a Chinese laboratory without any evidence, and accused the WHO of “collaborating” with China to cover up the initial explosion.
The experts, cited by the Associated Press news agency, said no study had been submitted to the WHO to assess the potential for a leak from the Kovit-19 laboratory.
Jamie Metzl, who is part of the WHO Advisory Council, which is not involved in the investigation, suggested that the G7 countries form their own committee to study the origins of the virus, saying that the WHO has no political authority, experience or independence. An Evaluation, Review.
Metzl welcomed the WHO’s request for further investigation into laboratory theory, but said it was not enough: “The Chinese government still refuses to share essential source data and does not allow a full and necessary audit of Wuhan laboratories.”
The WHO team of scientists said a number of approaches were needed, including studies evaluating the role of wildlife and environmental studies of first-time virus-infected areas such as fruit markets. From the Juanan Sea in Wuhan.
In March 2021, following the visit of international scientists to China, the WHO released a report on the origin of Kovit-19.
The report concludes that the disease can be transmitted from bats to humans and that there is no evidence to suggest a laboratory origin.
However, after criticism from the scientific community, including some scientists on the WHO panel, the agency’s director acknowledged that the rejection of that hypothesis was premature.